The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS China Power Project is seeking interns to support the program’s work. There are two (2) available positions. Our project examines the evolving nature of Chinese power relative to other countries through quantitative and qualitative analysis. We publish data-driven features monthly on the ChinaPower research website (chinapower.csis.org).
In addition to our work on Chinese power, our experts also conduct research on Chinese foreign and security policy, US-China relations, maritime security, cross-Strait relations, Taiwan-related foreign policy issues, and the broader Indo-Pacific security architecture.
Because of the fast-paced work environment, we are looking for motivated self-starters that can engage in a wide variety of analytic and logistical work. This is a paid internship.
STRONGLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Applicants that have recently completed or are currently enrolled in a Master’s program are preferred
• Mandarin language ability is strongly desired
• Previous experience in copy-editing is preferred
• Strong background in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
• Must be eligible to work in the United States and commit 35 hours per week (part-time internships may be available upon request)
• Must have an academic or professional background in Chinese foreign policy
• Must have exceptional writing skills
• Must have previous experience with collecting, curating, and analyzing data
• Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Must have the ability to work independently with minimal oversight
• Must have demonstrated experience managing competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Conduct writing and data analysis for website content
• Assist with research for articles, presentations, and podcast series
• Proofread and edit assorted content
• Maintain the program’s active and engaged social media presence
• Monitor, track, and report on events across the Indo-Pacific region, especially those dealing with China
• Provide logistical and administrative support
• Assist with event planning and staffing
• Perform a variety of other project related duties as assigned
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, college transcript, and short writing sample at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.